Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dagat ng Basura

Today is the day that marked my existence!
We went to Tondo Manila to interview street kids for our thesis. Why tondo? We just guessed that this place has an enormous variety of street kids that might fit in to our criteria.

Just when we arrived in Tondo, we have decided to leave our stuffs to one of my friends' apartment so that we would not encounter snatchers. When we closed the door, we just remembered that we forgot our wallets inside!! But the thing is, the door won't open. It's locked and we need a locksmith to open it. I only got 40 pesos on my pocket, good for the three of us. On the way, we have to walk near the "dagat ng basura" just to cross the street. Apparently, Anne Curtis and Sam Milby are shooting a film or something so the roads are clogged with by-standers hoping to see the celebrities.
While interviewing street kids, suddenly, policemen raid the market and started confiscating the vendor's goods.

After the day, we just realized that this isn't bad luck, it's adventure.

Since Tondo markets are quite populated, you get to see a lot of people selling goods that are strewn across the road. A smell of fish brought me to the days when I was still a kid. I really do not go to marketplaces and the last time i visited one was when I was elementary. I remembered the night when my mother still buy sacks of vegetables (she used to supply vegetables to a hospital) and I would go with her. It would take us up to 10 PM at most. And after that, she would buy me and my sister cheeseburgers from Jolibee (yeah, we used to love that Bee) and we would eat it on the way home. I would sleep alongside with my mother and my sister beside me. My father was away during that time since he works at Pangasinan.

I love that burger, wonder why I stopped loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Paranaque, Philippines